The OpenDOF “Suitcase” Demonstration shows how a DOF application could be used to track the location of a suitcase and monitor any physical impacts it may receive in transit.
Note: For this demonstration, an Android device is used as a virtual suitcase.
For this demonstration, you will be downloading and installing the “OpenDOF Suitcase Demo” application, which will allow your Android device to become a virtual suitcase. Once configured, you can
- Track the location of your suitcase
- See if your suitcase sustains any impacts, including information on the force of the impact and the location where it happened
- See how much your suitcase weighs (virtually!)
- Lock or unlock it
Follow the instructions below to install and configure the Suitcase application on your device.
Note: The necessary credentials will be provided by the system administrator.
To install and configure the Suitcase application:
- Download the Suitcase application.
The “OpenDOF Suitcase Demo” is available from Google Play or the Apple App Store.
- Install the application using your device’s installation utilities.
(Refer to your device’s instruction manual for details.)
- Launch the Suitcase application.
- Select Menu > Settings from the top right corner of the screen.
- Enter your credentials:
- Host. Enter the address of the server.
- Port: Enter the host server port number.
- Suitcase ID/Email. Enter the suitcase ID.
- Domain. Enter the domain OID.
- Identity. Enter the appropriate ID.
- Password. Enter your password.
- Tap “OK.”
Once the application has been installed and configured, your Android device is now a virtual suitcase.
After launching the app, here’s what you can do:
- Weight. You can change the weight of your suitcase using the +/- keys and see the realtime changes.
- Lock/Unlock. You can lock and unlock your suitcase as well as view the lock status.
- Location. You can track the location of your suitcase. The location is given in latitude, longitude, and elevation (meters). (Location information is dependent on the accuracy and availability of your device’s location features.)
Connection Indicator. This indicator shows the current connection status.
- Green: The device is connected and sending data.
- Yellow: The device is connected but not sending/receiving data.
- Red: The device is not connected.
To continue exploring DOF Technology, we suggest the following: